South Middleton Township has approximately 51.6 square miles, consists of 103.61 Township road
miles and has a population of approximately 14,500. It was established in 1810 when it was
divided from the area known as Middleton. When the area was divided, North and South Middleton
Townships were created.
South Middleton is bordered on the north by Carlisle Borough, North Middleton and Middlesex
Townships; on the east by Monroe Township; on the south by York and Adams Counties, with
Dickinson Township on the Western border. The Township surrounds the Borough of Mount Holly
Springs, although the Borough is not part of the Township.
South Middleton is a second class township and operates according to the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania's Second Class Township Code. The governing body consists of five elected
supervisors and an appointed Township Manager.
The Township has its own school district that encompasses the same geographic boundaries,
but each has its own separate taxing structure.
All meetings of the Township's Boards, Commissions, and Authority are open to the public.
All have varying requirements for public notification, but the meetings are advertised in the
legal notice section of the local newspaper. All agencies must follow the Sunshine Act for
open meetings, but at times certain sensitive issues (as described in the Act) may be and are
discussed in executive session. Anything that is said in an open meeting is on the record and
can be reported in the media. All members of the Township's agencies are aware of this, and
strive to temper their remarks accordingly.
2016 Township Map
Click to view the flash map.